Leaf Blower Ordinance
Leaf Blower Ordinance
Frequently Asked Questions
Enforcement goes into effect on January 1, 2015
The Law (LGMC 16.20.060)
- Gasoline leaf blowers shall be prohibited from use in all residential, commercial, and industrial zones or public space.
- Electric leaf blowers in excess of 65 decibels, measured 50 feet from the source, shall be prohibited from use in all residential, commercial, and industrial zones or public space.
- Miscellaneous nonstationary noise sources such as: electric or gasoline lawn mowers, electrical leaf blowers, edge trimmers, hedge trimmers and other similar moveable noise sources shall be operated only during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekends in residential, commercial, industrial, public spaces or noise sensitive zones.
- Leaf blower use is prohibited on Sundays and holidays.
Gas powered leaf blowers degrade the quality of life in Los Gatos by polluting the air, posing multiple health risks for operators and residents, generating high noise levels, and disrupting neighborhood tranquility.
When Does the Ban Go into Effect?
The ban on gasoline powered leaf blowers went into effect on July 1, 2014. Soft enforcement of the ban was in effect from July 1, 2014 to January 1, 2015. Beginning January 1, 2015, Code Compliance staff may issue citations if warranted, regarding reported violations to bring the community, gardeners and property owners into compliance.
What Do I Do Next?
Please replace your gasoline-powered leaf blower and tell your gardener that they must discontinue using gasoline-powered leaf blowers by January 1, 2015. Continued violations may result in the issuance of a citation to you and/or your gardener. In addition, gardeners are required to have a valid Town Business License.
Reporting Leaf Blower Use
The Code Compliance staff of the Community Development Department enforces this law. To report violations, please provide an address, date and time of the violation, and contact us one of three ways:
1. Please visit www.LosGatosCA.gov and click on “Report a Concern”
2. Phone: 408-399-5720
3. E-mail: CodeCompliance@LosGatosCA.gov
Enforcement Policy and Process
A Code Compliance Officer will inform operators of leaf blowers about the leaf blower ban and follow up with a warning letter to the property owner and/or property management company and the gardening company (assuming the gardener information is obtained from the gardener or property owner/manager). Continued violations may result in an issuance of a citation to you or your gardener.
Background of the Leaf Blower Ordinance
August 5, 2013 Study Session
December 16, 2013 Study Session
May 5, 2014 Ordinance Introduction
June 2, 2014 Ordinance Adoption